Thursday, June 16, 2011

I have not abandoned the road.

Just taking the scenic route. So, living a kosher life is both not as difficult as I feared and not as easy as it looks. There are a lot more foods available that are kosher and not terribly expensive. Even No Name brands are kosher. Though some of the foods I loved aren't - like silhouette yoghurt, which I can't eat anyway since I'm allergic to dairy. Speaking of dairy, this year we observed Shavuot somewhat. Shavuot is when the Jews were given the Torah and the Ten Commandments by Gd and Moses (as himself - no Charlton Heston in this version) It is traditional to eat dairy foods (especially cheesecake!!) on this holiday. So this year I tried my hand at making blintzes (cheese filled crepes) and s Found a recipe for cheeseless cheesecake. I must say, both attempts were successful!! Matthew said my blintzes were better than his bubie's - high praise indeed!! And I must mention - when I say I made them, I mean from scratch. Crepe batter and all! Though I did not milk a cow to make the cheese, nor cream a soy bean to make tofu cream cheese, I did make the batter from scratch and not a mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment