Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Kosher?

In my journey towards a more kosher lifestyle, and learning about the Halachas (laws) of a Torah-oriented lifestyle,  one of the "rules" is to keep kosher.  This means so much more than separating your milk and meat foods. It's a whole new set of rules, regulations, and dishes!

My husband was kind enough to purchase the second set of dishes, though we had originally planned on using my grandmother's old dishes.

We went to Ikea for cutlery and now we have a meat cutlery drawer, a dairy cutlery drawer - and yes, there's cutlery in it.  I also have a crock full of meat cooking utensils and a set of dairy cooking utensils.  Of course, nothing's been completely "kosherized" yet, but we've been separating dishes, food and cooking utensils.

Of course, simply having meat dishes and milk dishes isn't all it's about.  There's the important part - the food!

Part One - mixing milk and meat.

I'm not going to go into the nitty gritty - I've tried to read some of the laws and it can be very, very confusing.  But the main essential "rule" is to not mix milk and meat - that means no cheeseburgers, no chicken Kiev (which is a double whammy - not only does it mix milk and meat, it also contains ham, which as we all know is pork, and therefore another 'disallowed' foodstuff.

Part Two - Buying Kosher food.

One of the first questions someone asked me when we decided to go kosher was "but isn't Kosher more expensive?"  In short - yes. And no.  How's that?  Many, many products these days are certified Kosher.  Mostly through the Kashruth Council of Canada.  Below is their logo
It can easily be found on the bottom of any label - even No Name products at No Frills. 

There's also the Orthodox Union to name just two.OU Kosher

Meat is a bit more expensive, because the cost of koshering the meat is factored into the retail price.  But otherwise, there's a lot of foods that are certified kosher. Recently, I found out that Golden Oreos are certified kosher!! Which made my white chocolate cheesecake completely kosher!! Hazzah!! 

Now, toss in a dairy allergy to keeping kosher - sounds easy right? Well, in a way, yes.  Soy milk can easily be substituted for most dairy additions, which means so long as there's absolutely no dairy in the cheese, I can have a cheeseburger (not my favourite meal, but hey, still means I can have it). 

However, there are some recipes I haven't figured out how to kosher - or make without dairy.  For example - will soy milk make mushroom soup taste as good?  Because I have a lot of recipes that call for mushroom soup, but have yet to find concentrated soy mushroom soup.  I guess that's my new challenge...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gayla
    From one kosher kitchen to another if you need any recipies or help let me know. Also, you should have some glass dishes for Parve. For me those parve dishes are a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that a homemade white sauce (roux plus plain soy milk or broth, or both) works instead of mushroom soup. Add fried mushrooms if you want the mushroom flavour, leave them out if you don't. You can actually tweak the flavour of the dish a lot more when you use a white sauce instead of soup.

    ReplyDelete